This is a guest feature by Evolution Nutrition.
All members of your fitness business are connected through common fitness goals like feeling better and stronger, or just living healthier lives. Your studio or gym’s services, whether yoga/pilates, TRX, or anything in between, translate to a unique and personal connection that your community shares.
So if a strong connection with your customers is the key, what’s a proven strategy to help boost this? Weight loss challenges.
This provides that intra-community program that puts your members and participants on a fitness mission together. With these 4 steps, it’s a breeze to organize and launch your very own challenge.
The length of the weight loss challenge can vary, but the majority of businesses see success with challenges between 4 to 10 weeks, as supported by the American Council on Exercise. Once your customers sign up, it’s your job to engage them as they change their lifestyle, celebrate each win with them, and support them when they realize how great it feels to achieve a goal they set. Let’s dive in:
Step 1: Create Your Weight Loss Challenge
To build a manageable challenge, you only need 4 things:
- The number of customers you want to include in your challenge (create demand by advertising a limited space, but of course let more jump in if they want to join).
- A “connection” with your customers where your business is engaged with them through technology for them to track goals, nutrition, exercise, and progress.
- There are free challenge apps like “Lose It” and “Diet Bet” that have been developed for consumers. This is great for groups of friends or peers, but doesn’t really provide value to your business.
- Using technology, such as Evolution Nutrition’s professional and enterprise editions, enables you to directly connect with your members and provides you with insight into how your members are doing in the challenge. This keeps the challenge associated with your business, and the business resources can be used for weekly giveaways, promotions, and any social marketing.
- Guides and resources on healthy nutrition to help give the value of your program a boost! If you don’t already have these, be sure to look at the bonus content below. We interviewed 3 nutrition experts and they share a blueprint grocery list, top foods to boost your metabolism, and more.
- Rewards for winners: these can be directly related to your services, such as free sessions or passes, or even discounts for products/retail.
Step 2: Promote Your Weight Loss Challenge
How you decide to get someone’s attention makes or breaks your weight loss challenge. Here are some suggestions:
- Hang banners in the facility.
- Include promotions or announcements for the challenge in your e-mail newsletter or any other email marketing resources you use.
- Promote it on all of your social media channels.
- Reach out to current members directly as you engage with them on a daily basis at your facility. Personal connection and interaction are powerful.
- Offer a referral program (include incentives for referrals such as a coupon for 20% off their next purchase, etc.).
Step 3: Launch Your Weight Loss Challenge
Once you create and promote your weight loss challenge, set a date and launch! These key factors will make your challenge a success:
- Manage the challenge and monitor your clients’ results with a weekly check-in, and track progress by creating visuals in your business (such as a Challenge Tracker Board) that show how everyone is doing. This increases the energy & healthy competition is a great marketing tool to get others excited to join future challenges.
- Leverage the power of the community through your social media channels by creating specialized weight loss challenge groups through Facebook where you can post updates, weekly progress reports, mini weekly challenge winners, etc. You’ll find that they’ll appreciate when you celebrate their wins!
Step 4: Watch Your Customer List Grow
Once the challenge is complete, make note of how many people participated. This is where you leverage what you learned from the challenge and make it a staple of your business.
- Repeat the challenge at least 2 to 3 times a year to keep your customers engaged and motivated. With each challenge, you’ll learn changes you want to implement in terms of the details, length, and rewards/incentives. The key is to create the best challenge for your business.
- Once you do these challenges regularly, establish a constant connection with your community and contribute to the three R’s of success for your business: Retention, Referrals, and Revenue.
Have you ever done a weight loss challenge at your fitness business? If so, let us know what did and didn’t work!
Evolution Nutrition is a nutrition software that’s so advanced, it’s simple. This allows you to power your clients to be what and how they eat, while you get to provide easy meal planning and nutrition education for them.