Marketing, Operations, Retention, Sales
How to Get Your Gym to Rank on Google Maps
Want your gym to appear on Google Maps when people search through places?
Getting your gym or fitness studio to rank high in the map section of the Google Results page can be very lucrative. Especially when someone’s searching for fitness!
For Google Maps, your business can only be ranked in the city that your business is listed in. You can still rank on the 1st page of organic results for other cities, but it will be in the general listing section. This is done using SEO (search engine optimization).
According to BrightLocal, “82% of consumers read reviews for local businesses, including 93% of people aged 35-54.”
The biggest question is: What’s the easiest way to get reviews?!
What NOT To Do With Google Maps:
- Most local businesses feel like the easiest thing to do is to email their customers a link that takes them directly to their Google Maps page for a review.
Technically, that is the easiest for you and your members, however it can hurt you.
See, Google can tell where traffic comes from. Google Maps has its own set of analytics.
If a visitor leaves a review by getting to your page through a link that was emailed to them, it’s safe to assume that it was probably a “set up.” In other words, it doesn’t appear as organic.
You probably wouldn’t have sent a customer a link to review you unless you KNOW it was going to be good, right?
What You SHOULD Do With Google Maps:
- Get a very visible link on your website that you can ask customers to click on. This will take them to the same spot, and it’s easy!
If you can’t get your web team to do this just yet, you can ask your customers to follow the instructions in the numbered points below:
1. Go to Google
2. Type the company name in the search bar
3. Click on “Maps” in the black bar that’s at the very top of the page
4. Click on the company you wish to review (left column)
5. Once you click on the company name, you’ll notice in the map section a pop-up appears with basic company info. Click on the “more info” link in that box.
6. Now you are on the company’s Google Places page. Click on “Write a review”
You not only want people to find your gym or fitness studio on Google Maps, you want then to like you too!
Google Maps isn’t the only player in this field. A lot of gyms are using Waze to get more members. CLICK HERE to download a FREE Waze Cheat Sheet!